Saturday, October 26, 2013

What month is it?

This week held a new event every day. It was very busy and kept me, as well as students on their toes.  Needless to say, by the end of the week when I was helping students with Christmas cards and then decorating for the Halloween party, I was a slightly confused about what month it was!

Monday: This past Monday was a 2 o'clock dismissal. I normally do not teach on Monday, but I do try to attend as many faculty meetings as I can when we have our early dismissal days. Well, I was on my way into school when Mr. Chance's truck decided it was not going to work. I was unable to attend the meeting so he could have my car and make his way to the National Laboratory in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. This ended up being a blessing in disguise however. I was able to create an example for the new K4 project that we will be starting next week (super excited about it!) as well as grade all of the finished projects (many of those grades will be coming home in the Tuesday folder).

Tuesday: We did not have school this past Tuesday. All of the faculty attended a technology in-service at another school in town. It was very informational and I have several ideas for the future. This coming week, the 1st and 2nd will be finishing their projects and working on critiques (pictures to come!) and the 4th and K4 will be busy working on hieroglyphs and new projects.

Wednesday: This was the only "normal" day this week. The 3rd grade started a new project about Leonardo da Vinci. I have found that many students have heard about him, as well as his works "Mona Lisa" and "The Last Supper". I decided to focus this project on his horse drawings and statue. Most of the class, this past week, was spent discussing Leo, as well as the requirements and options of this project. Next week, when students have their ideas sketched, I will explain what we are doing in a little more detail.
 The 6th grade worked on redoing their vases. They were able to trace their vase, as well as apply all of the oil pastel. I will be helping students this week by applying the layer of black tempera...that way next week they will be ready to etch!
The K4 listened to the book "Pete the Cat: I Love my White Shoes". LOVE THIS BOOK! After the conclusion of the book, we reviewed color and discussed sketching. Students spent Wednesday practicing drawing Pete. Next week, we will be starting our actual project, which will be a Pete the Cat collage!
The K5 did not attend art this week due to their program practice. They will be continuing to work on their Blue Dog artworks when they come up to the art room next week.

Thursday: Thursday started out with a lot of prep. I spent most of the morning cutting paper.



During the afternoon, I had the opportunity to attend the Hispanic Heritage Celebration program. Students did a wonderful job presenting information, dancing, singing, and sharing their talents! Good Job Everyone!


Friday: Every year around this time, I work with students to create our annual Christmas card fundraiser. For the past 3 years, we have simply drawn our ideas and colored them with colored pencils. Well, this year I decided to change things up a bit. I wanted to teach the students an art skill in addition to creating their card. Well, this year we are doing a collage, as well as a little bit of weaving! Over the next two weeks, students in grades 1-6 will be creating their card designs. This week, the 3rd grade created theirs!




The week wrapped up with our annual Halloween party. We had a blast!!! I love seeing everyone, students and parents alike, dressed up in their costumes! Mr. Chance and I went as the Mad Hatter and the Red Queen from Tim Burton's version of "Alice in Wonderland"! We had so much fun and are looking forward to next year. We have already figured out our costumes :)



Next week should return to normal. Many students will be working on critiques, which I will share a bit about during next week's post, while others will be starting new things. Hope everyone has a Happy and Safe Halloween!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment